As many as 236 people may have been slain in the ill-fated Nigerian jet fighter attack against an IDP camp in Bornu State.
Doctors Without Borders said the death toll had risen to 90, although it claimed that could climb as high as 170.
But Babagana Malarima, president of the local Kala-Balge government claimed the death toll is much higher.
“From what the people who buried the dead victims with their hands told me, not those who treated the wounded, they buried 234 dead,” said Malarima on Saturday.
“And I later got a report that two of the injured taken to Maiduguri died.”
The bombed camp had been set up to help people fleeing Boko Haram Islamists in Borno State.
Nigeria’s air force said it was investigating the incident but military commanders had already claimed it was a mistake.
DHQs say that the ill-fated operation in Rann was spurred by some intelligence report of enemy regrouping in the area.
NAF had carried out the air raid in the region hoping to kill off what it was told were remnants of Boko Haram
Rather than hitting intended targets, the bombs landed in the IDP camp, mowing down displaced people and aid workers.
Read Also: Bombed IDP camp comes under another attack
President Muhammadu Buhari has requested a thorough investigation and probe of the process leading to the order.
“There have been some security and intelligence agencies working at cross purpose on account of inter-agency rivalry in the war theater.
President Buhari was under the impression that such occurrences were a thing of the past,” explained the source.
The President is reportedly angry at how enemy locations got mixed up with coordinates of an approved IDP Camp.
According to our source, every IDP camp in the North East was set up in areas not easily accessible or assailable by insurgents.
Secondly, such camp, whether run by the state governments in conjunction with National Emergency Management Agency.
“The locations of all the IDP camps are well known to the government and the military.
“That is why aid workers agree to work there in the first place,” a presidency source said.