They threw a pig’s head into our mosque – Hajia Zebida

Unknown gunmen attacked a Mosque in Quebec, Canada, and [neutralized] 6 persons and injured 8 others.

Following the attacks, the Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, called is “terrorist attack on Muslims.”

Police said two suspects had been arrested but gave no details about them or what prompted the attack.

“Six people are confirmed dead – they range in age from 35 to about 70,” Quebec provincial police said.

The mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui, said he got frantic calls from people at evening prayers.

“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” he said.

Read Also: Stop building more mosques – Emir Lamido Sanusi

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said: “We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a center of worship and refuge.”

“Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric.

“These senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities, and country,” Trudeau said.

The shooting happened just after Trudeau announced that Canada would welcome refugees.

Read Also: Sultan Bello Mosque crisis ends as Sheikh Khalid steps down

This was just as President Donald Trump suspended the U.S. refugee program.

A Canadian federal Liberal legislator, Greg Fergus, tweeted: “This is an act of terrorism.

“The result of years of sermonizing Muslims. Words matter and hateful speeches have consequences!”

Like France, Quebec has struggled to reconcile its secular identity with a rising Muslim population, many of them from North Africa.

In June last year, a pig’s head was left on the doorstep of the cultural center.

“We are not safe here,” said Mohammed Oudghiri, who normally attends prayers at the mosque.

Incidents of Islamophobia have increased in Quebec in recent years.

Read Also: So sad! Truck rams into central mosque

“The face-covering, or niqab, became a big issue in the 2015 Canadian federal election, especially in Quebec.

In Quebec, the majority of the population supported a ban on it at citizenship ceremonies.

Zebida Bendjeddou, who left the Quebec City mosque earlier on Sunday evening, said the center had received threats.

“In June, they’d put a pig’s head in front of the mosque. But we thought: ‘Oh, they’re isolated events.’

“We didn’t take it seriously. But tonight, those isolated events, they take on a different scope,” she said.